Papa Wemba was born Jules Shungu Wembadio Pene Kikumba on June 14, 1949, in Lubefu (Sankuru District, Belgian Congo). He is a Congolese rumba (later known as soukous) musician, one of Africa's most popular musicians, and prominent in world music.
Papa Wemba was one of the very first musicians to join the influential Soukous band, Zaiko Langa Langa when it was created in December 1969 in Kinshasa along with such well known Congolese musicians as Nyoka Longo Jossart, Manuaku Pepe Felly, Evoloko Lay Lay, Bimi Ombale, Teddy Sukami, Zamuangana Enock, Mavuela Simeon, Clan Petrole and others.
In a Congolese musical world dominated at the time by Franco Luambo and his remarkable band TPOK Jazz, Tabu Ley Rochereau's Afrisa, and by then-new musical groups such as Les Grands Maquisards, Le Trio Madjesi, and even younger bands such as BellaЧитать далее в Википедии...
Альбомы и синглы:
- Ceci-Cela [альбом]
- Kuru Yaka [альбом]
- M'fono yami [альбом]
- M'zee fula ngenge [альбом]
- Nouvelle Ecriture Dans L [альбом]
- Wake Up [альбом]
- The Kershaw Sessions [27.02.1989, альбом]
- Le Voyageur [1992, альбом]
- Emotion [13.03.1995, альбом]
- Molokai [01.06.1998, альбом]
- Bakala Dia Kuba [2001, альбом]
- Papa Wemba [19.09.2005, альбом]
- Maître d'école [20.06.2014, альбом]