John Sheppard (also Shepherd, c. 1515 – December 1558) was an English composer of the Renaissance.
Sheppard's birth date can be placed in the second decade of the 16th century, based on his claims of composing in 1534. Otherwise, little is known about Sheppard in the years preceding his presence in Magdalen College, Oxford; it is here that he attended Michaelmas in 1543 as Informator choristarum. Sheppard is in the list of the Gentleman of the Chapel Royal in 1552; he may have entered this position directly after his departure from Magdalen, but because of the gap in Chapel Royal records from 1547, this is not certain. He presumably remained active at the chapel up to the year of his death; on New Year's Day 1556 he presented a roll of songs to Mary Tudor. In 1554 he supplicated, apparently unsuccessfully, for the degree of Doctor of Music at Oxford University, stating that he had studied music for 20Читать далее в Википедии...
Альбомы и синглы:
- Church Music, Volume 1 [10.1988, альбом]
- Masses by Tallis and Sheppard [1993, альбом]
- Cantate' Mass and Other Sacred Choral Music (The Sixteen feat. conductor: Harry Christophers) [07.03.1997, альбом]
- Missa Cantate [2000, альбом]
- Media Vita (The Tallis Scholars) [12.02.2002, альбом]
- Songs of Angels: Music from Magdalen College, Oxford [10.02.2003, альбом]
- Media Vita & other liturgical works [01.2010, альбом]
- The Voice of the Turtle Dove [03.02.2014, альбом]