The Almanac Singers was an American New York City-based folk music group, active between 1940 and 1943, founded by Millard Lampell, Lee Hays, Pete Seeger, and Woody Guthrie. As their name indicated, they specialized in topical songs, mostly songs advocating an anti-war, anti-racism and pro-union philosophy. They were part of the Popular Front, an alliance of liberals and leftists, including the Communist Party USA (whose slogan, under their leader Earl Browder, was "Communism is twentieth century Americanism"), who had vowed to put aside their differences in order to fight fascism and promote racial and religious inclusiveness and workers' rights. The Almanac Singers felt strongly that songs could help achieve these goals.
Cultural historian Michael Denning writes, "The base of the Popular Front was labor movement, the organization of millions of industrial workers into the new unions of the CIO. For this was the age ofЧитать далее в Википедии...
Альбомы и синглы:
- Songs of Protest [альбом]
- The Original Talking Union & Other Union Songs [1955, альбом]
- Talking Union, Volume 1 [2001, альбом]
- Their Complete General Recordings [22.10.1996, сборник]
- Which Side Are You On? The Best of the Almanac Singers [10.2006, сборник]
|Casey Jones The Union Scab||